Sunday, August 22, 2010

I complain on Sundays...

A gaggle of gripes to satiate your craving for the bitter within me... Don't act like you're not excited...



I'm not a big fan of selling myself short... though I often do.

I tell people I can't cook, when I can... granted it's typically frozen fare or boxed mac -n- cheese, but technically it's cooking.

I'll do or say stupid shit and blame it on the fact that my degree is from an art school... When, in reality, I'm pretty smart... Not PhD smart, but I can hold my own.

I date asstards.

I make shallow comments in jest and act as though they are part of my true identity... and only those who really know me see the humor...

I sell myself short. Partly because I like to make people laugh, especially at my own expense, and partly because of some other reason that I'm sure a PhD could explain to you, but I can't because I went to art school...

I do, however, choose to be somewhat ignorant to the world around me... in a sense.

I HATE the news. 

I hate the devastation and destruction and fear mongering. I hate the irresponsible journalism and the biased reporting. I hate that the top 5 stories are always about murder and rape and war and disease and missing children. I LOATHE the effing news...

I don't want to know about all the pain that the world is in. All the hate. All the sadness. I CHOOSE not to know about it. I'm pretty sure that I have about all I can handle with my own neuroses. I worry about plenty on a minute to minute basis. There's not a lot of room in me to take on all the other bullshit.



I've taken a lot of heat on this throughout the years. Most people view my decision as apathetic and self-important and shallow. I see their point... I do. But I assure you, this is an educated choice. And I, in no way, feel that my life is bigger or more important than anyone else's... except Paris Hilton... my life is DEFINITELY more important than Paris Hilton's...



And when reporters aren't reporting on shit that makes you want to jump in front of a moving train, they're busy filling us full of nonsensical and irrelevant rubbish. Things that no one needs to know... ever...

MSNBC headline examples:

  • MAN MAKES SHRIMP PIZZA, TRASHES RESTAURANT 
  • BRIDE ARRESTED FOR DRUNK DRIVING ON WEDDING DAY
  • THE AGONY AND ECSTASY OF ICE CREAM

Really? This shit matters? Someone out there gives a frack about some chump that has obvious anger issues and trashed a pizza joint?

What happened to the personal interest stories? Why don't we get to hear about how many babies were born today? Or a little boy who gave a lonely old man his puppy? Or how much money was donated to charities across the globe last week?



I am positive that there are good people out there doing good things, inspirational things, things we might all try to do every once in a while. So why doesn't anyone care about that enough to put it in the news?

When the top stories start to be about the families that feed the homeless and the people that selflessly donate their time to help this planet flourish, then I'll start watching...

Until then, I CHOOSE to be ignorant...

2 comments:

  1. Girl, you are speaking my language. I hate the news and refuse to watch it. I say that I like to live in a bubble. And if it something that I should know about the blogosphere will tell me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's true! tell some feel good stories!

    ReplyDelete