Saturday, December 5, 2009

Once upon a time I thought I was gangsta...

Thank Mama Kat for this fly prompt... Fo reeeeeal doe...    

In the 7th grade, I was under the impression I was gangsta. I rocked body suits and oversized colored denim. I used words like "Fly" and I said "Nah" instead of "No". I also "went out" with two boyz at the same time, straight outta my mother's worst nightmare. Both claimed to be gang members (which basically consisted of sporting colored bandanas, that's as gang member as you can be in the upper middle class suburbs of Seattle). I hung out with girls who made out with boys, and got in fist fights. I. Was. Gangsta.

And just so you're aware, anyone that actually knows me is most certainly ROFL imagining this thug life I speak of. I'm about as UNgangsta as they come. It ain't EZ rulin' dem streetz in 4 inch stillettos. I have since hung up my Cross Colors garb and retired the ol' Dre cassette tapes... but in 7th grade... girrrrrrrrrrrl you don't even know what you don't know...




That said, my favorite, favorite, favorite song was Weak by S.W.V. (that stands for Sisters With Voices... I'm not here to judge) Everytime I called the local hip hop radio station to request that song I would follow up with a call to one of my fellas, Reggie or Greg, and tell them to tune in. I thought about all the meaning behind the words, how hard it was to be away from them when we weren't at school, how my heart swelled when I thought about our (secretly) silmultaneous and extremely serious relationships... So here's to you SWV, you only had one hit, but a hit it was...




Weak by S.W.V. (with translation by Jill)

I don't know what it is that you've done to me...
but it's caused me to act in such a crazy way.
Whatever it is that you do when you do what you're doing...
it's a feeling that I want to stay.

(I'm gangsta, but choo broke through and now we goin' out, yo. I'm actin' stupid. We ain't never breakin' up)


'Cause my heart starts beating triple time,
with thoughts of loving you on my mind.
I can't figure out just what to do,
when the cause and cure is you.

(I feel like I jus' ran a 17 minute mile in gym class when I think about sittin' by you on the bleachers.
But when you nex' to me I feel better, fool)

I get so weak in the knees I can hardly speak.
I lose all control and something takes over me.
In a daze, your love's so amazing, it's not a phase.
I want you to stay with me, by my side.

(I feel all queasy and start breakin' bitches off, I'm in a rage blackout but you my boo and you ain't leavin')

I swallow my pride, your love is so sweet.
It knocks me right off of my feet.
I can't explain why your loving makes me weak.

(I'm ay-ight wit feeling dumb, when you hold my hands, it's like that time I got tripped Mrs. Wilson's 5th period science class. I don't got no words fo why, though)

It's time after time after time I've tried to fight it.
But your love is strong it keeps on holding on.
Resistance is down when you're around, starts fading.
In my condition I don't want to be alone.

(Yo, I thought 'bout tryin' to break it off, but you say you in a gang. And sometimez you even lift weights in yo garage prob'ly. And also, I'm in the 7th grade so I'm not very big yet and my daddy left me so I'm gonna pretend we coo' and we gettin' married someday cuz I'm co-dependent)
[Bridge]

[Chorus]

I try hard to fight it.
No way can I deny it.
Your love's so sweet.
It knocks me off my feet.

(Like I said, I'm kinda scared of you and I ain't gonna lie, you gangsta too. And I like your Drakar Noir cologne, but sometimes you wear too much and it makes me faint... but it's coo', we in love, shorty)

[Chorus]

ooh ooh ooh

(ooh ooh ooh)

[Slow fade]

Ahhhhhhh.... young love and poor decision making skills...

And hey, join my contest below! Target is calling, will you pick up?!?!?

3 comments:

  1. OMG. I have this album. And sometimes I still listen to it.
    But I think you're forgetting their big hit "I'm So Into You" and the one where they sampled the King Of Pop, "Right Here".
    Totally Nineties, Baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I NEVER got into fights. EVER. Just so we're clear. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmmmm. If it wasn't so embarrassing I would post a photo of me with a perm, baby oil and a rag in my hair....Pretty much right around the same time you was doing it up! Ahhhh, gotta love ALL stages of life!

    ReplyDelete