Thursday, August 20, 2009

To blog or not to blog...

(And yes, I know it's been done... I'm doing it anyway)

Let me start off by saying that the phrase "I stick to my guns" (which I'm not even sure makes sense) does not apply to me. And here's why...

Approximately, four years ago a little site called Myspace swept the web and took EVERYONE I KNOW right along with it. Myspace stalking became a staple of everyday conversation, "I love your new layout", a phrase heard round the world. "Not I", said I. Myspace is stupid. Myspace is for losers and wannabes. Myspace is full a' trills and predators cleverly disguised as 16 year old cheerleaders. Myspace will NEVER be my space. Cut to: me sending friend requests to the EVERYONE I KNOW that already has a Myspace page whilst apologizing for the conclusions I may or may not have jumped to. And moments later posting a Myspace bulletin-quiz that has me wetting my own pants, I think I'm so hilarious.

Then came facebook. Oh, facebook, you wily little minx. Again, I say, not a chance. "I already have a myspace page. Will there be no end to this incessant need to find new and less personal ways to communicate with those we consider 'dear friends' and by that I mean 'people we may or may not recognize in the harsh light of day'?" And now? Nightly, I scroll the likes of my "friends" updates, living vicariously through and in closeted envy of all those who've updated before me.

Did I classmate.com? Sure I did, that lasted until a disgruntled "fan" from high school sent me a feisty little message about how I ruined her life. Awesome.

Twitter, you say? I signed up, of course. However, I fail to see the necessity behind informing those "following" me of precisely what I'm doing at any given moment... No offense, Ashton, but no one gives a shit! (it is possible that there is a sprinkle of bitter in there somewhere, as the only people "following me" are strippers and corporate advertisers).

That brings me to this.

The blog.

My dear friend, and top contender for funniest person I know, Mama Kat, has been all-consumed with her blog from the date of it's conception. She solicits followers, posts pictures, tells personal, detailed stories about her family. And I, not being the most supportive ignoramus going, poked and poked and laughed and poked and quietly envied from afar.

Until today.

Let me introduce myself. I am a 29 year old, medical receptionist/actor (who hasn't booked a gig in over a year. whatever. it's a dry spell.) in desperate need of a creative outlet that does not include the gut-wrenching rejection that is chucked at my quivering, unassuming pride as I depart each and every audition I attend.

Please to enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. Awwww Jill...I welcome you to this land. We will accept you with open arms and support you in all your whims.

    If it makes you feel any better I once denounced Britney Spears as a singer wannabe and am now head of her fan club. It happens to the best of us.

    Welcome. Welcome dear friend.

    ReplyDelete